Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Victory Candy Cigarettes


I am quitting smoking. Any advice?
To all of those who have given it up ~ I have been a smoker for almost 30 years (YUCH!) and I am sick of it. What did you do to quit and what helped you the most? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!



Thanks in advance!
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
I quit smoking 4 weeks ago, after having smoked for 38 years. :)



In August, both my mother and I went on the patch. This worked for her because she was ready to quit, but I wasn't. After seven weeks I backslid, and smoked about half a pack per day until the day after Christmas. That was a victory, tho, because up until then I had been a pack and a half per day smoker.



I went back on the patch for just one week, at the lowest dose, to get me past DAY THREE. So bad is day three that it's worthy of all caps. I know; I once quit for 10 weeks about 12 years ago. It was DAY THREE which kept me from trying to quit for the next 12 years, so you have been warned.



Anyway, three weeks ago I happened to leave the house for the day and forgot to put on a patch. It was late in the day before I remembered, so I knew at that point I had made it past the hump. There have been a few cravings, lasting mere minutes, easily overcome.



How you quit is entirely up to you. The patch worked for my mother. Had I been ready to quit in August, it would have worked for me then, too. I *was* ready to quit after the holiday fuss, and in the weeks leading up to Christmas thought to myself many times that I would be smoke-free by the new year. I rang in the New Year without a cigarette...



Being ready to quit practically guarantees your success. I agree with Scott; you stated that you are quitting. That's the key.



Choose a day you want to quit and mark it on your calendar. Depending on your determination, that could be as soon as tomorrow. Throw out all smoking related items. Get yourself some mints, stock up on carrot sticks, break out a new deck of cards. When the urge to smoke becomes too overpowering, suck on a mint or eat a few carrot sticks. Shuffle those cards (keeps the hands busy) and engage in a game of Solitaire (occupies the mind). Before you know it, that urge will pass. As has been stated, you might choose to work out or take a long walk.



It's OK to munch on a few carrot or celery sticks to get past a craving. It's not OK to munch on a candy bar or potato chips. Some people swear by avoiding those occasions where you would normally smoke, such as at the table with your morning coffee and newspaper. For me, it was on my porch with a magazine. I found it too daunting to give up my porch sitting, however.



As someone said, make it through the month and you're golden. I'd like to point out that if you can make it through the first week, you'll be really proud of yourself and will think twice before you reach for a cigarette and spoil it.



If you should backslide, don't see it as failure, see it as another chance.



Whether you go cold turkey or with the help of a non-smoking aid is entirely up to you. You've chosen to quit smoking, so no matter how you go about this, you are looking at eventual success.



Congratulations on making such a wise decision. Only the best to you.



Reeling from a lost leg can be emotionally devestating. Luckily, Neo-Pangea cigarettes are here to take the pain away! It tastes like mom! Want ...


VICTORY CANDY CIGARETTES