Sunday, December 16, 2012

Pa Cigarette Tax


In Pennsylvania, how much of the cost of a pack of cigarettes is TAXES?
I know there are federal taxes, state taxes, and then the regular sales tax. And they are going up, too. What do you know....how much $ is taxes...total.
Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
The FEDERAL cigarette tax will go up 62 cents to $1.01 April 1, 2009.

State taxes vary, of course. In Pennsylvania, the STATE tax will go up to $1.35 per pack ( ranking 21st among all states) on June 30, 2009. In additation are sales taxes (6% in PA) and some cities have additional sales tax (Allegheny and Philadelphia counties impose an additional 1% sales tax.)



$1.01 + 1.35 = $2.36 + 0.30 (6% on $5.00 pack) = $2.66 taxes per pack.



$2.66 per pack x 365 (pack-a-day habit) = $970.90 extra taxes paid every year to smoke.



If the government required smokers to buy a $1000 license each year to smoke, there probably would be a lot fewer smokers! Keep in mind, some states' cigarette taxes are even higher. (see links)



I'm not preaching from the pulpet; I, personally, am using this information to motivate myself to quit. What kind of fool am I for willingly giving the government more of my hard-earned money? And isn't that crazy when I look for every dollar I can find to lower the amount I owe to the IRS? Add to all the cigarette taxes the cost of the cigarettes themselves and it is simply ridiculous! (Not to mention how bad it is for my health). I just wish I didn't enjoy smoking as much as I do...... it would be so much easier. But now that I'm focusing on the TAX.....I think I have the motivation I need.



Wish me luck.



complex, the War on Drugs, and the Federal Reserve. A native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Paul is a graduate of Gettysburg College and Duke ...


PA CIGARETTE TAX